Tuesday 3 January 2012

Why Ursula Got it Right

Hello Friends, 

Well it has been a while, hasn't it? My last entry was over 2 months ago - now that's shocking. All these social boundaries in the world are still alive and kicking and there is no Super Nerd to attack them. Shameful. However, you'll be pleased and relieved to hear that my new year's resolution is to manage, no matter how busy I may be, to do a blog a week AT LEAST. And if I don't you may suggest some ridiculous forfeit for me or something. Penance indeed. 

Now as we've just finished the festive season, I'd like to talk about something that pops up a lot this time of year: dogs. Not christmas? Not new years? Not the birth of the baby Santa and Jesus going around giving the world presents? (I may have got confused there...) But no. Dogs. Stupid flipping dogs. 

You know how there are dog people and cat people? I do not fall into either category. I am a tortoise person. I love my tortoise. She wanders about her run, has a bit of lettuce, goes for a nap for 3 months out of the year, lovely. I can tolerate a cat. I actively dislike dogs. Firstly, they're not cute. Babies, yes. Those tiny bottles of toiletries you take on holiday, of course. Dogs, no. Not cute. Secondly, they do all the things that, if done by any human being, you would never speak to them again and possibly get a restraining order. They jump at you, bark at you, drool, bite and poo on the carpet. They STINK and cover you with hair and are just generally bothersome.

Jake, however, is desperate for a dog. And so every year at this time he starts giving those (cue pun) puppy dog eyes and shows me every cute dog that his extended family possesses in order to sway me that they are a) lovely and b) desirable and if we ever live together we should totally get one. It's not going to happen. And this rant isn't to do with a social boundary as much as it is to do with a lack thereof. I speak, of course, not of the adorable little runts themselves, but of their owners. 

How many happy lovely walks in the park have been ruined by the presence of some yappy little bum-sniffer, as they run up to you and jump at your personal areas because their owner simply laughs and says 'Oh, don't mind him. He's harmless.' Actually, he's harmed my personal space so, no, Mr Dog Owner, not harmless. Or say you go to someone's house, perhaps a new friend you've never officially visited, perhaps a friend of a friend, and the minute you ring the doorbell, you hear the soul destroying sound of barking. The dog comes to the door, and the owner might make a pathetic attempt to restrain them a bit, but you've not been warned and you're constantly on edge for the rest of the evening. How pleasant for all involved. Well, it is for the dog. 

My point is, people with dogs assume that everyone is comfortable with dogs, or at least not so uncomfortable that they ponder running away but then worry even more about the dog chasing them and so freeze in a state of panic and confusion. There are exceptions, I've met perhaps even 1 whole dog that I can tolerate and even be indifferent towards (only because he's trained to go away when someone says go away, but hey, it's something.) But to cut a long rant short, consider the dog-fearers, people, or you might find yourselves in a little mermaid situation (First 6 seconds...) 

 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PUPBBx0ZFc

No comments:

Post a Comment